2010年5月31日 星期一

20100531 Coming Home (1)

Coming Home

This is my place, my love, where I belong

After finals, I was ready to move out. It wasn't too hard for me, but for a lot of my friends, it was a big deal. After cleaning up the trash, packing my suitcase, and helping my friends move, it was time to say goodbye. I had reached the end of my freshman year! A friend from Taipei who is studying in Washington, D.C., came to visit, so my brother and I took him singhtseeing. But these were not this month's highlights. The high point was coming back home, a moment I'd been anticipating since the day I left. I arrived home early on the morning of May 15th.

When I saw my parents, I gave them a big hug and kiss. Being close to my parents, standing on this land, and feeling the humidity in the hot air, I knew I was home. The first thing I did was to go to Mei&Mei (美而美) for a big breakfast. It was so much better than the school cafeteria!
Mei&Mei was just a start. There are so many foods I have to eat and so many friends I want to see. The hot air is burning my face and the sweat is evaporating from my skin. I love this feeling. This is where I belong.





highlight n. 最精彩的部分
=> the best/most exciting/entertaining/interesting part of something
eg: Beyonce's singing was the highlight of the show.
=> Beyonce的歌唱是這場表演最精彩的部分。
eg: The highlights from the football game will be shown on today's news.
=> 這場足球賽的精彩畫面會在今天的新聞播出。

humid adj. 潮濕的
humidity n. 濕氣/濕度
=> the amount of moisture/water in the air
=> the percentage of water in the air
eg: The humidity in the room was so high that I felt kind of sick.
=> 這個房間太潮濕了讓我感到有點兒不舒服。
eg: The humidity today is around 60 percent.
=> 今天的濕度大約是60%。

vapor n. 水蒸氣
evaporate v. 蒸發
eg: If you open the window, the steam in the bathroom will evaporate faster.
=> 如果您把窗口打開,浴室裡的蒸汽會蒸發得快一點。
eg: His worries evaporated while playing with his daughter.
=> 當他與女兒一起玩時,他的煩惱都煙消雲散了。

suitcase n. 小型旅行箱/手提箱
=> a square case that you probably use whenever you travel or go some place
sightseeing Un. 觀光/遊覽
=>

final n.
=> final exams

anticipate n. 期望
=> look forward to
=> expect


//== Chat room ==//

big deal 了不得的事情

It's not a big deal. 小事一樁


如果你到了一個地方發現大家都在熱烈討論某件事情
你可以問What's the big deal?
What's the big deal? 什麼事讓大家大叫大嚷的?
=> Why is so important?
=> Why is everyone talking about it?
=> It implies that you want to what it is about
eg: What's the big deal with Facebook
eg: What's the big deal with the celebrity?

big deal 重要人物
eg: He thinks he's a big deal. 他以為自己很重要




//== Grammar on the Go ==//

Mei&Mei was just a start.
=> Mei&Mei was just the first place he is getting food. He still had so many places to go and so many things to eat.

just a start
=> let the reader/audience to know there is more to come and
=> what was mentioned isn't the only thing

eg: Visiting this world famous museum is just a start, we will also be touring a famous cathedral and the presidential palace.
eg: We'll meet at the cafe for a snack but that's just a start, I've planned a lot of other fun activities.



沒有留言:

張貼留言