2010年4月1日 星期四

20100401 A Humorous Situation (1)

A Humorous Situation

He who laughts last, laughs best


A world-famous scientific expert, Dr. Halogen, was on his way to give another lecture. This particular night, his driver asked him for a favor. "Dr. Halogen, when you speak, everyone gives you honor and attention. I'd really like to see what that feels like. Could we exchange clothes just for tonight? You be the driver, and I'll be the expert." Dr. Halogen laughed and said, "Do you really think you can do it? What if someone asks you a difficult question?" "I can answer it," boasted the driver. "I've heard you speak on this topic many, many times."

"All right," said the scientist. "It is April fool's Day after all!" The two exchanged clothes and continued on to the meeting. When they arrived, the bogus scientist was received with great enthusiasm. He gave a good imitation of the speech and answered a few questions. Then a woman asked a very tricky one.
Thinking quickly, he said, "Ma'am, that question has a very simple answer. It's so easy, I'm going to let my driver, who is sitting in the back, explain it!"



boast about/of something 誇耀/吹噓某事
=> say something very proud of it
eg: Mothers love to boast about how smart their children are.
媽媽喜歡誇耀自己的孩子有多麼地聰明。

boast v. 擁有的某件事物
eg: Hawaii boasts great sand beaches and beautiful scenery.
=> 夏威夷擁有很棒的沙灘和美麗的風景。

bogus adj. 假的/偽造的
eg: The con man used a bogus credit card to buy many valuable goods.
=> 這個騙子使用偽造信用卡買許多昂貴的物品。
eg: The suspect's claim was found to be bogus.
eg: He made up some bogus data in his report and got expelled(被退學了).

enthusiasm n. 熱心/熱情/熱忱
eg: The teacher's enthusiasm for literature inspired his students.
eg: Wesley lost his enthusiasm for the project when he learned it would take 6 months to complete.


Ma'am n. 尊稱女士/夫人
=> it's a polite way to say Mrs.

//== Chat room ==//

favour(英式寫法)
favor (美式寫法)

favor n. 恩惠

要求別人幫忙有下講法:
1. Can I ask you a favor?
2. Can I ask you for a favor?
3. Can I ask a favor of you?

Can you do me a favor?
我可以請你幫個忙嗎?

favor v. 偏愛/偏袒
eg: My mom always favors my younger brother.



//== Grammar on the Go ==//

1. I'd really like to see what that feels like...
2. I want to know what that feels like.
=> too directly, a bit impolite

I would like... (較禮貌)

I want to reschedule my ticket. (impolite)
I'd like to reschedue my ticket. (good)

I want a salad with my sandwich. (impolite)
I would like a salad with my sandwich. (good)

沒有留言:

張貼留言