2009年5月8日 星期五

20090508 -- In Mom's Words (1)

In Mom's Words(媽媽的心聲)

Mothers talk about what they hope to receive this year for Mother's Day

Mother's Day is just around the corner. How will you honor the wonderful women in your life? This year, before choosing a gift, read what mothers really want.

A simple gift

For mothers, gifts are reminders fo their childeren's love. "What I want most, perhaps, is something I can carry on me," says Kathryn from Taipei. "For example, it could be a wallet, purse, keychain or pen ... This way I'll often be reminded of how considerate the children are, and that'll make me happy."

Liz Ann, who lives in Yuxi(玉溪), values the thought put into handmade gifts. "What I really like is when the kids make something for me themselves (like drawing a pretty, colorful picture) on which they have spent a lot of time." Liz Ann continues, "It' doesn't really matter exactly what they do or get for me, but the enthusiasm that goes with the giving."

Lastly, don't forget about simple gifts. Teresa, also from Taipei, says, "The best gift is a card that expresses one's sentiments. On top of that, they could also help me cook for a day."


around the corner (idiom) 即將來臨
-> happening very soon/ going to happen soon
eg: Summer is right around the corner. Do yo have any special plans yet?

keychain n. 鑰匙圈
eg: I keep my keys on a heart-shaped keychain.

remind v. 提醒
eg: Can you remind me to take my camera to school tomorrow?
eg: Can you remind Peter about this Friday's banquet(宴會)?

remind v. 讓某人想起...
remind of
eg: This painting reminds me of my vacation in France.

considerate adj. 體貼的
consider v. 考慮
eg: It is so considerate of you to help us clean up after the party.
eg: He was considerate enough to give us a ride home(載我們回家).

sentiment n. 感情
-> feeling about something

on top of 除此之外
eg: For my birthday I had dinner with friends. I also went to a movie on top of that.
eg: On top of giving his wife a bouquet of roses on her birthday, Sam also took her to dinner at a nice restaurant.



//== Grammer on the go ==//

What I want most, perhaps, is something I can carry on me.
want most最想要,後面接perhaps,讓語氣微婉

perhaps
-> avoid sounding too directly/avoid being rude/soften the laguage

eg: Michael Jackson is, perhaps, the most famous musical entertainer of all times.
eg: The best thing about our trip, perhaps, was that we got to stay at a 5-star hotel for free.


//== Chat room ==//

Mother's Day (mother's 使用單數所有格)

How will you honor the wonderful women in your life?
(這邊使用複數是因為家族中有祖母、媽媽等女人)

沒有留言:

張貼留言