2011年2月13日 星期日

20110212 Training New Staff (2)

Training New Staff

When I begin to instruct someone, I first give the big picture of the project and where our group fits into it. Next, I set up daily, weekly and monthly agendas and goals. These help new people understand what we need to accomplish by the end of each training section.But people can be so impatient with all this step-by-step training. They get the gist of a project and immediately begin to think of ways to make the process better.

I tell them that before they do that, they probably should understand why things are done the way they are. I've learned two important lessons through my experiences in training people. One is that everyone is different: I can't force others to learn things my way. If I do, I will be frustrated all the time. The second is not to micromanage but leave room for the trainees to grow. Who knows - they might come up with newer and better ideas. Isn't that why companies like to hire new blood?



struct- 建造
instruct v. 指導/訓練
=> teach
eg: All the students were instructed in the use of the school website.
=> 這裡的學生都被訓練學習使用學校的網站

instruct v. 指示/吩咐
eg: My boss instructed me to collect information about our competitors.
=> 我的老闆吩咐我收集競爭對手的資料

gist n. 要點/主旨
=> gist前面通常都要加定冠詞the
eg: Sarah gives the gist of the news of the day to the boss every morning.
=> Sarah 每天早晨替老闆歸納當天的新聞重點

get/catch the gist of something 掌握...的要點
eg: After a while, I think I got the gist of what the speaker wanted to express.
=> 過了一段時間,我想我終於聽懂這位演講者所要表達的重點

micro- 微小的
micromanage v. 上司對每個細節都必躬親/凡事都要過問(通常是負面的意義)
eg: Larry was criticized by his employees for micromanaging. He leaves them no room to express their own thonght.
=> Larry的職員批評他事事過問讓人沒有空間表達自己的想法



impatient adj. 沒有耐心的
=> not patient

trainee n. 受訓者
=> someone who you are training

new blood 新血
=> somebody who is hired by the company

//== Chat room ==//


give the big picture of the project 大方向
=> the main goal of the project

big picture 大局
=> 如果去美術館看畫,有些油畫面積很大,
=> 若是站得離油畫太近就看不清楚整幅的畫,必須要後退才能夠看到the big picture
=> 因此big picture在這裡指的是大局


當一個團體發生意見分歧的時候可以說Look at the big picture.
Look at the big picture.
=> 以大局為重。

big-picture person
=> 顧全大局,專注於大方向的人

big-pitcute-oriented
detail-oriented person 非常注重細節的人

事情要做的好,做的成功,一定要有big-picture person and detail-oriented person 兩種人


沒有留言:

張貼留言