2010年3月22日 星期一

20100319 Ready to Date (1)

Ready to Date?

Being ready to date involves more than just one's age


Dating is a wonderful way for two people to get to know each other. But even if you share an attraction, are you ready to be more than friends? Leah, a high school student, discusses this issue with George, her older brother.

Conversation A
George: Do you have any plans for Friday night?
Leah: I'm going to a party with this guy I know.
George: You two are just friends though, right?
Leah: Well, I do kind of have a crush on him.
George: Oh really? How do you know this guy?
Leah: He's my partner in biology class.
George: So … what do you see in him?
Leah: He's really easy-going. He has a great sense of humor. He always making me laugh.
George : But are you sure you're ready to be more than just friends with a guy?
Leah: Well, Mom and Dad said I could date when I'm 16!
George : I'm not talking about your age. If he keeps you from focusing on your studies, you won't get into a top university.
Leah: Trust me, Andy is not a slacker. He studies hard and wants to get into Harvard…and he motivates me to study harder too.





attract v.
attraction n. 吸引/吸引力
eg: The mutual attraction between the boy and the girl is obvious.
eg: What's the attraction of bungee jumping (高空彈跳)?

crush n. 迷戀/短暫的熱戀
have a crush on someone 對某人著迷/迷戀
eg: Tina had a crush on her math teacher when she was in junior high.
eg: Cathy's crush on the pop music idol only lasted for a few weeks.
=> Cathy對流行音樂偶像的迷戀只持續了幾個星期。

motivate v. 激發/刺激
eg: He was motivated by his teacher to become a writer.

motivate someone to do something 激發某人去做某事
Good commission can really motivate people to work harder for sales.
=> 豐厚的傭金真正地能激發員工努力業績。

easy-going 很好相處
slacker n. 敷衍取巧者



//== Chat room ==//

interested in 對一方感興趣

share an interest 對彼此有好感

fall in love 墜入愛網

matchmaker n. 媒人

blind date (別人代為安排的)男女初次會面



//== Grammar on the Go ==//

I do kind of have a crush on him.

have a crush on someone
=> feel attracted to someone


eg: My son has a crush on his schoolteacher.
eg: Martha had a crush on Elvis Presley when she was a teenager.


have a case on
= have a crush on someone

eg: Ever since Joanne went to camp with Nick, she has had a case on him.
eg: Fred always likes to be with Erica; I think he has a case on her.

沒有留言:

張貼留言