2010年10月11日 星期一

20101011 The Interview (1)

The Interview

How prepared can you really be?

Working for a Fortune 500 company is a dream for a lot of Chinese people in the U.S., including me. The salary and overall benefits are so much better than what many companies in the U.S. offer. And this kind of work experience looks good on a resume for future career advancement. A friend who knows me very well referred me to the hiring manager of a Fortune 500 company. There was an immediate opening for a permanent position, and my background seemed to be a good match.

The interview process started with a phone interview with the HR department. One invaluable lesson I learned from a career counselor is to be absolutely honest about your resume. You can exaggerate, but at the interview, good interviewers can easily tell if you know what you are talking about. I got myself ready a couple hours before the phone interview by reviewing my resume and preparing for questions regarding my background. I wanted to make a good first impression and move forward to the second-round interview. And I did!


overall adj. 整體的/大體上的
eg: The department's overall evaluation will be posted next week.
=> 這個部門的整體評量下星期將會公佈。
eg: Overall, it has been a good year for our business.
=> 整體而言,我們今年的生意非常的好。

refer v. 轉介/介紹工作
=> send information from one to another
refer to 介紹到...
referred referring
eg: Molly referred her best friend Julie to her father's company.
=> Molly介紹她最好的朋友Julie到她爸爸的公司上班。
eg: My family doctor referred me to a well-known surgeon.
=> 我的家庭醫生把我轉介給一位有名的外科醫生。

impress v. 使...印象深刻
impression n. 印象(多用單數型)
impression on
=> general feeling you might have for someone or something
eg: She gave the impression that she didn't want to talk to others.
=> 她給人家的印象是不想要跟別人交談。
eg: David wanted to make a good impression on his future father-in-law so he got a hair cut.
=> David 想要給未來的岳父留下好印象,所以去理髮。




Fortune 500 財富500

overall adj. 整體的/大體上的
=> including everythin

refer (v) 轉介;涉及, 有關[(+to)]

permanent adj. 永久的, 永恆的; 永遠的;固定性的; 常在的
=> last forever

HR department HR部門
=> human resource


exaggerate v. 誇張/誇大
=> make the story bigger
eg: The side-effect of the vaccine was exaggerated by the press.
=> 這個疫苗的副作用被媒體誇張報導了。
eg: I'm not exaggerating! The fish I caught was over 25 pounds.
=> 我沒有誇張!我捉到的魚超過25磅。




//== Chat room ==//

One invaluable lesson I learned.

valuable adj. 有價值的

invaluable adj. 無價的
=> beyond a price

priceless adj. 無價的

priceless和invaluabe都可以用來形容很昂貴的東西
eg: priceless painting

priceless和invaluabe也可以用來形容生命中無可取代的東西
eg: invaluable help and support



沒有留言:

張貼留言