2010年10月22日 星期五

20101021 How Sick Are You (2)

How Sick Are You

Tammy: You know, Barbara, that sore throat could be strep throat.

Barbara: I don't think anything is that serious.

Tammy: Well, you won't know for sure until you go to doctor

Barbara: But I don't have time, I have an important meeting today.

Tammy: You do know that if it's strep throat, you are very contagious.

Barbara: I haven't thought about that, but I can't stay home. I don't have any sick leave left.

Tammy: If you go to the doctor, maybe you can get a doctor's note to satisfy you boss.

Barbara: The people in my office are counting on me to get something finished up today. They will be upset with me if I am not at work.

Tammy: They will be a lot more upset with you if you show up and you make them sick. Why don't you go to the doctor first and see what she says. If she says you are not contagious, maybe you can go on to work. But if it is strep throat she probably tell you to take antibiotic for 24 hours before going back to work. Maybe you are right. I would rest easier knowing I am not contagious, and I am sure my co-workers will too.



contagious adj. 會傳染的/具有傳染性的
eg: Since the flu is highly contagious, the government has advised children and elderly people to get a flu shot.
=> 由於這個流感傳染性相當高,政府建議小朋友及老人家都要打流感疫苗
eg: Pamela's laughter is contagious. You just want to laugh with her.
=> Pamela的笑容很有感染力。你就是想要跟他一起笑

count on 指望
count on someone or something 指望某個對象
=> rely on
=> dependent on
eg: The whole team was counting on the quarterback and celebrated when he threw the winning pass.
=> 整個球隊現在就看他們的四分衛了,當他傳出致勝的傳球時,大家都歡呼起來。

count on someone for something 指望或依靠某個對象可以提供什麽
eg: You can always count on Joseph for good advice.
=> 你可以倚賴Jeseph給你好的建議

rest 休息
easy 輕鬆。
rest easy 放寬心
=> relax
eg: I can't rest easy until I get my wallet back.
=> 除非我找到我的皮夾,否則我沒有辦法寬心。
eg: She can finally rest easy now that the police have found her little boy.
=> 警察終於找到她的兒子,她現在終於可以放寬心



strep throat 鏈球菌性喉炎

show up 出現
=> arrive

antibiotic n. 抗生素
=> destroy any harmful bacteria

//== Chat room ==//

sick leave病假
take a sick leave/day 請病假

take leave 請假
= on leave 請假
eg: John is on leave this week.

annual leave 年假
=> may use for anything include vacation.

leave of absence 留職停薪

maternity leave 產假

maternal adj. 母親的
paternal adj. 父親的

maternity leave 產假
=> 記法:ma開頭,聽起來像媽
paternity leave (得新生兒後的)父親假
=> 記法:pa開頭,聽起來像爸


沒有留言:

張貼留言