2010年11月16日 星期二

20101116 My First Day (2)

My First Day

Joan talks to her husband after her first day at work.

Charlie: Hi, honey. How was your first day at your dream job?

Joan: It was good but really tiring! There's so much to remember! I had meetings with so many different people and departments. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now.

Charlie: Steep learning cruve. eh?

Joan: You can say that again. Making the adjustment from a small company to this huge multi-national one is going to take time.

Charlie: But you had a good orientation?

Joan: Yes. I learned a lot and I asked a lot of questions.

Charlie: Good. That's the best way to learn what's expected of you.

Charlie: Is the same person who is training you going to evaluate our work?

Joan: Yes. That will be my team leader. He is really nice and has given me some helpful hints already.

Charlie: Is he approachable?

Joan: I think so. We hit it off right away, so I think we can work well together.

Charlie: And the rest of your team?

Joan: I met all of them too, and they all seem nice. Hopefully, they'll all be easy to work with.

Charlie: You'll find out soon.

Joan: Not till next week. I have orientation the rest of this week.




evaluate v. 衡量/評估
=> judge
eg: The company evaluates their employees each quarter.
=> 這家公司每一季都會評估他們的員工。
eg: We should evaluate the market before we start advertising the new product.
=> 在我們要開始打產品廣告之前,要先衡量市場的狀況。

approach v. 靠近
approachable adj. 可接近的/容易親近的
=> friendly and easy to talk to
eg: Wesley doesn't seem very approachable, but he's really a nice person once you get to know him.
=> Wesley看起來似乎不是那麼容易親近的,但是如果您認識他他其實是個大好人。

hit it off 相處融洽/合得來
=> get along very well
動詞三態變化:hit hit hit
hit it off with someone 和某人合得來
eg: Janet didn't hit it off with Marlene at first, but soon they became good friends.
=> Janet和Marlene起初並沒有很合得來,但是他們很快的就變成好朋友。




overwhelmed
overwhelm v. 使受不了/使不知所措
eg: The kids were initially overwhelmed when we moved from the city to the suburbs.
=> 當我們從城市搬到郊區時,孩子们當初都不知所措。
eg: Patrick was overwhelmed by the responsibilities of being a boss.
=> 當老板的諸多責任讓Patrick幾乎承受不了。
eg: I was overwhelmed by his generosity.
=> 他的慷慨令我感激難言


steep adj. 急劇升降的/大起大落的
learning curve 學習曲線

orientation n. 新人訓練
=> the meeting that you have to get prepared for your jobs






//== Chat room ==//

You can say that again. 你說得一點也沒錯
=> 字面上是說你可以再說一遍。
=> 其實意思是你說得一點也沒錯。
=> 贊同的說法
=> 重音要放在that

I'll say. 表示贊同人家的看法
= I agree.
=> I'll say千萬不要拆開來念I will say,那就沒有人聽得懂你的意思了



沒有留言:

張貼留言