2010年12月21日 星期二

20101221 Employee Wellness (2)

Employee Wellness

I participated in "walk During Lunch Day" and was astonished to see that hundreds of people showed up at the event. It turned out to be not only an exercise event but also a social event where I encountered many others from different departments. We walked and chatted and had a lot of fun during that lunch hour.

Although I didn't win a prize in the drawing, I was glad I had made the effort to participate. Now I know where to go for a walk around campus during lunch hour and I'm in the habit of doing it.

Joan and her coworker Sara discuss their office's wellness events.

Joan: I wish they'd organize a "Walk During Lunch Day" more often.

Sara: Why? You can walk on your own at lunchtime.

Joan: I do walk on and off, but I need something to motivate me.

Sara: And someone to accompany you?

Joan: Right, Exercise is more fun with friends.

Sara: So find a friend to walk with. There must be someone in your department. Or organize a lunchtime walking group.

Joan: That's a good idea. I'll send an e-mail around this afternoon.





astonish v. 使大為吃驚/使驚訝
eg: It astonished me that many students don't read much outside of the classroom anymore.
=> 我感到很驚訝現在很多學生課堂之外不在讀什麼課外讀物了
eg: I was astonished that Cathy refused my help to babysit for her.
=> Cathy拒絕我幫她帶小孩讓我感到很錯愕


draw n. 抽獎
drawing n. 抽獎活動
draw v.抽獎/畫畫
eg: At the end of the party, there was a big drawing for a free trip to Hawaii.
=> 派對結束後,有免費去夏威夷旅行的大抽獎
eg: The winners of the drawing need to fill out a form before collecting their prizes.
=> 抽獎的得主必須在領取獎品前填寫一份表格



on and off adv. 斷斷續續/不時地
eg: Pam works out on and off so she never loses much weight.
=> Pam斷斷續續地健身,所以她從來都沒有減掉多少體重
eg: Bobby and Kate wrote email to each other on and off after graduation.
=> Bobby和Kate畢業之後斷斷續續地通電子郵件



//== Chat room ==//

walk v. 走路

take a walk 散步
take a walk
=> 如用命令口氣對一個人說take a walk,就是很不客氣的一句話即"出去滾開"

walk on eggshells 要非常的小心/謹慎
=> 走在蛋殼上,要非常的小心,謹慎

walk one's feet off 走了很多的路
=> 把腳走斷了,意即走了很多的路


沒有留言:

張貼留言