2009年3月10日 星期二

Studioclassroom_20090310

Conversation A
(Jack pulls into a gas statio.)

Jack: I'll fill up the car.
Laura: And I'll go inside.
Jack: (looks at the pump) I'll have to go inside too.
This sign says the credit card reader is broken.
I'll have to prepay our gas inside.
Laura: What a bother.
Jack: Well, prepaying is the station's protection against
driver-offs. You know, those people who drive away without paying.
Laura: I suppose so. It's just too bad you can't trust people anymore.
Jack: I know. It's awful.
Laura: Don't forget to wash the windshield. It's really dirty.
Jack: I won't. I see the washing stuff over there.

Conversation B

(Jack is siting in the car at a gas station. Laura gets in.)
Jack: Where have you been? I've been cooling my heels for 20 minutes!
And that's after I pumped the gas and cleaned the windshield.
Laura: Sorry, Jack. After I used the restroom, I decide to get a snack.
These gas station convenience stores have everything now!
Jack: So what did you get?
Laura: A hot dog and a soft drink. I got one for you, too. Here.
Jack: Thanks. What else did they have?
Laura: Lots of candy and snack food of courese,
and quite a few souvenirs too. I bought a T-shirt.
Jack: One-stop shopping at the gas station! (They laught.)






suppose v. 假定/猜想/認為
eg: What do you suppose is wrong with Lynn? She 's so quiet.
eg: I suppose David will be the new manager.
eg: It was widely supposed that the company would buy the restaurant chain(連鎖餐廳).
eg: I supposed that she's still angry with me.

awful adj. -> too bad/scary 可怕的/嚇人的
eg: What do you think about the awful, rainy weather today?

heel n.腳後跟
cool one's heels 苦苦等候
eg: I've been cooling my heels for an hour because Max is very late.
eg: The movie star kept the reporters cooling their heels for an hour at the press conference(記者會) until he showed up.

the press conference 記者會

convenience store n. 便利商店
eg: Please buy me a newspaper and a cup of coffee at the convenience store.

reader n. 閱讀機/讀者

windshield n. 擋風玻璃
eg: The windshield is tinted(著色的) so no one can see who's inside the van(休旅車).

windshield wiper 擋風玻璃雨刷
eg: The windshield wipers are worn out and need to be replaced.


souvenir n. 紀念品/紀念物
eg: She spent a lot of money buying souvenirs.

同義字
souvenir
keepsake
memento
relic
remembrance



// == Chat room == //
one-stop shopping -> go to one place and get many different items 一站式購物



// == Grammer on the go == //

You know, those people who drive away without paying.

you know + common known facts
eg: You know, I think it's time for a quick coffee break.
eg: You know, that guy who just came in reminds me of my cousin.

沒有留言:

張貼留言