2009年3月24日 星期二

Studioclassroom_20090324

Webster's Web



"Just a bit more", Webster grinned.
"Once you're here, you'll probably find it hard to pull yourself away.
Hee, hee, hee. Come and join me," he added.
"We can be playmates. We can play music. We can talk and share stories too.
And then, after that ... well, after that we'll just play it by ear," the spider chuckled.
"Well, all right," the fly buzzed as he came closer.
"After all, I'm just dying to get a closer look," he said, landing on the web.
"Dying is right!" laughed Webster, making a play on words. "You foolish fly!"
Suddenly the helpless fly realized he had been playing the fool.
He struggled to free himself from the web, but he could not.


In a short time, he was all played out.
"You lying spider," he cried.
"Why did you play a trick on me?"
"I'm a hungry spider," he explained.
"Don't expect me to play fair.
Spiders never play by the rules, especially when they're hungry."
"Won't you please let me go?" begged the fly.
But the spider only laughed harder.
"Never," he cried. "I always play for keeps."
Looking forward to a tasty snack.
Webster danced with excitement.
His dancing caused the web to tear, but Webster was jumping around too much to notice.
Suddently, the web fell, taking the surprised spider with it to the ground.
Meanwhile, the fortunate little fly broke free and buzzed off -- wounded, but wiser.






dying to
eg: I'm dying to get that singer's latest album.

die to do something 及想要去做某事(常用現在進行式)
eg: I'm so tired. I'm dying to get some sleep now.
eg: All of Sandred's girlfriends are dying to here every detail of her date.

fortunate adj.
eg: I'm very fortunate. I have a great family and a good job.

play it by ear 見機行事
eg: If the interviewer asked you something you aren't prepare to answer. Just play it by ear.
eg: I really don't know what will happen in our trip. I guess we'll have to play it by ear.

play a trick on someone 耍某人/對某人開玩笑
eg: The real-estate agent(房地產仲介) played a trick on us and we bought a house for an unreasonable price.
eg: We played a trick on our teacher by hiding under our desks.



pull yourself away ->
so good to pull myself away
so interested in the stories, I don't want to get away from it.

play the fool -> the fly was a fool and he didn't realize.

play fair -> play by the rules of the game

play for keeps -> play in order to keep what he wins

played out -> out of energy, tired
eg: After keeping playing basketball for hours, I'm all played out.



chuckle v. 竊笑


//== Chat room ==//

tear -> pull something apart
eg: tear papers/magzines

tear up -> tear more than once 撕得粉碎

tear up the contract -> cancel the contract 廢除合約

tear into a person -> criticize a person strongly and angryly. 嚴厲批評
eg: Ben's father tore into him for getting bad grades.

tear into something -> do it quickly with a lot of energy 積極奮勇地做一件事/迫不及待
eg: If you are very hungry, you might tear into your dinner.
eg: If you are a hard worker, you mihgt tear into your work
eg: tear into work/dinner

沒有留言:

張貼留言