2009年3月23日 星期一

Studioclassroom_20090323

Webster's Web


A sticky situation

Webster the spider was busy mending his web, "I'm so hungry," he thought.
"If I don't get this web mended soon, I think I'll starve! Hey, what's this?"
he wondered as he spied a fly buzzing overhead.
"Hmm," he smiled to himself. "Breakfast is served!"
"Hello, little fly," he grinned.
"Come a little closer, won't you?
We can play together in my web if you like."
"But I don't know you," the little fly said.
"And I always play it safe. I never talk to strangers."
The spider played along.
"Good for you. Talking to strangers can be dangerous.
In fact, "Webster explained, "it's like playing with fire.
But, as for me, why, I wouldn't hurt a fly!"
"Well, you do seem friendly," admitted the fly.
"But I shouldn't be playing around the spider webs.
After all, I might get stuck."

"Aw, that's silly." Webster said, playing it cool.
"Just look at me. I can run and bounce and jump.
You don't see me getting stuck, do you?
This web is wonderful. It's fun.
And very safe, "the spider winked.
"You're not playing games with me, are you? Is it really saft?" asked the shy fly.
"Of course," the spider smiled.
"And look, see how it sparkles in the morning light? Isn't it beautiful?"
"Yes, it is," the little fly agreed.
"It sparkles like diamonds."
"Yes, and the closer you get, the prettier it becomes," the spider promised.
"Now, come a little closer and you'll see."
The little fly buzzed closer and closer, playing right into the spider's hands.



sticky situation -> painful/difficult situation

sparkle v.
eg: The beautiful diamonds sparkled in the sunlight.

mend -> fix/repair

starve -> died of hunger

spy on you -> carefully watching you and you don't know it

buzz n. -> the sound that the fly makes 嗡嗡叫

play it safe -> he usually does thing safely/carefully.

play with fire -> doing somthing that is very dangerous

play around ->

play it cool -> acting very cold and relax

wink v. 眨眼示意
eg: Mother winked at Laura as a sign for her to keep silent.

bounce v. 彈起來/跳起來
eg: Childern love to bounce up and down on the sofa.
eg: The kids are bouncing on the mattress(床墊).
eg: He watched the toy as it bounced down the stairs.
eg: He made a shot but the ball bounced off the basket.

play into one's hands 落入某人的圈套
(the fly was doing the exactly what the spider wanted him to do)
eg: If parents allow their childern to misbehave, they're just playing into their hands.

play along 假裝配合/假裝與某人合作
eg: The hostages had to played along with the kidnappers to survive.
eg: Jason is not a respectable supervisor. Many of his team members are just playing along with him.

//== Chat room ==//

spy v. 當間諜/暗中監視
(observe someone/ work secrectly to gain information)

spy vt. catch sight of 看到/發現
eg: Rachel spied a beautiful bluebird sitting in the nearby tree.
eg: He spied a panda in the mountains.

peer v. look searchly/carefully 掃描
eg: The boy little peer over the top fence to see what his neighbors were doing.
peer v. diffuculty in seeing 看得很困難
eg: Ken peered in the darkness.

gaze v. looking something for a long time 目不轉睛的注視
eg: Hellen gazed the night sky.

glance v. take a quick look 匆匆一瞥
eg: I glanced my note before the class started.

//== Grammer on the go ==//

You don't see me getting stuck, do you?

Sentence Pattern:
You don't see me ..., do you?
1. The speaker already is very sure of the answers.
2. Used in the arguement or just be defensive
3. Used in informal conversation

eg: You don't see me whine whenever I get sick, do you?
eg: You don't see me complaining, do you?

沒有留言:

張貼留言