2009年6月26日 星期五

20090625 -- American Parties (2)

American Parties

Conversation A

A: Where are you off to, Laura?
B: Jordan's baby shower is next week, so I'm going to buy her a gift.


A: What are you going to get?
B: I'm thinking about getting her a blanket. But she is registered at Target, so I'm going there to look at her list first.

A: Just buy her some baby clothes. Infants grow out of them so fast.
B: New mothers need more than just baby clothes. They need diapers, toys and other things.

A: Well, don't spend too much money!
B: I won't. I should be able to get her something nice for under %50.

Conversation B
Jack comes into the kitchen

A: Mmmm, I can smell that cake all over the house. Can I have a piece?
B: Not now. I'm taking it to the neighborhood potluck tomorrow.

A: I'm looking forwad to that. There are some great cooks in our neighborhood! I'll make sure I have a good appetite!
B: You always do! I think six people are bringing desserts, and the rest are bringing salads.

A: And we have to bring our own meat to barbecue, right?
B: Right, I already bought some steaks.
A: I can't wait!


register v. 新婚夫婦到喜歡的商店登記他們所需要的東西的清單
eg: The couple decided to register for dishes at the department store.


infant n. 嬰兒(還不會走路)
eg: Brenda's infant is only 6 weeks old.
eg: The lotion(乳液) is very mild, and it's suitable for infants.

infant adj. 嬰兒的
eg: My sister gave me some of her daughter's infant clothing.

toddler n. 會走路的幼兒
eg: These active toddlers have really worn me down(讓我累垮了).

diaper n.
eg: Babies need their diapers changed often.

neighborhood n.
eg: Three new families moved into our neighborhood last summer.

look forward to N/Ving 期待某件事的發生
eg: Ava is really looking forward to her birthday party.
eg: Everyone is looking forward to the senior high prom(高中畢業舞會).
eg: We're looking forward to your visit.

//== Chat room ==//

Can I have a piece (of cake)?
Can I have a cake? ( asking for whole cake ) 一整個蛋糕
one pizza ( one entire pizza )


a piece of cake 輕而易舉的事情
eg: That test was a piece of cake.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. 魚與熊掌不能兼得

沒有留言:

張貼留言